Please, join us to turn this property into a center of renewal and hope! Visit the center here
St. Francis was the first hospital in Freeport IL, opened on February 12, 1890. By 1923, it grew into School of Nursing that produced hundreds of registered nurses. By 1926, need for expansion resulted in the addition of this imposing monumental 5 Story Building and a grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes. The hospital later closed its doors in 1965 with the original session of the hospital demolished in 1967. In 1968 the remaining wing transformed into St. Francis School for Exceptional Children until 1999 when the school was moved.
This historic landmark was given to the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in 1999 by Most Rev. Thomas Doran (Bishop Emeritus of Rockford Diocese). The sisters, whose Founder was born in 1890 and whose foundation was inspired by his pilgrimage to Lourdes hope to transform the property into a center of renewal and hope. Our Founder’s vision and passion was that we journey with women and children. We are determined to make this a safe Haven for young women with unplanned pregnancy and those who seek quiet space to reconnect their inner strength. The center will serve everyone seeking shelter, counselling, and adequate information of healthy living.
Major Renovation needed include:
Professional Removal of Mold and Asbestos
Painting and decorating
Madonna Painting to adorn front of building.